Monday, January 3, 2011

Darklight by Lesley Livingston

Published date: 22nd December, 2009
Pages: 310
Age Group: Young Adult
Publisher: Harper Teen
My Rating: 4/5
Where to buy: Amazon

Much has changed since autumn, when Kelley Winslow learned she was Faerie royalty, fell in love with changeling guard Sonny Flannery, and saved New York City from a rampaging Faerie war band. When a terrifying encounter in Central Park sends Kelley tumbling into the Otherworld, her reunion with Sonny is joyful—but cut short. For they’ve been plunged into a game of Faerie deception and wavering allegiances in which the next move could topple a kingdom...or part them forever.


I JUST finished the book, and I thought I would review it right now, while my impressions are still fresh. Darklight starts right where Wondrous Strange ends. Lesley Livingston does such a great job in this book to immerse myself into the story without it being boring, since this is right in the middle of the trilogy. But then, how can it be boring since I learnt so much about the characters that I've already met in Wondrous Strange.

The story line in this book is definitely a lot larger, Kelley's separation from Sonny has led her into having dark dreams being a plague to her mind. And she finds out what he's capable of as he's completing a task from the King Auberon. But Fennrys is in the picture to protect her while Sonny's away. From the book I saw that each of the Faerie courts have a secret lurking in the shadows, and something's out to get Kelley, Sonny and the courts.

Kelley's character really develops in this book as she's becoming tougher as the danger keeps rolling in. I enjoyed getting to know the other characters, Fennrys (hello there...), Tyff and others from the Otherworld. Getting in touch with the characters is a big reason on why I like to read, and Lesley did an excellent job with that and also writing out the components of the Faerie Realm. Where there's danger, there's action, and it's placed so brilliantly in the book, there's more deceit games, and eye-opening facts, and some heartache. Once again, Kelley has grown so much as a character, and it was great and sometimes painful to see her make some choices. She has to come into terms about her feelings toward her parents, developing and managing her powers as a Faerie, and feelings for Sonny.

I LOVE how Lesley incorporates her knowledge of Arthurian Literature (Shakespeare) into the stroy, and that just gives her books a fantastic edge and bonus points! I'm so happy to see that in her writing, and it makes me appreciate the book a lot more. I'm still waiting for Tempestuous to be added to my shelf.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...