Saturday, April 10, 2010

Impossible - Nancy Werlin

Hey y'alls, it's time for me to do another book review. First of all, I just had a book shopping spree, and I was so successful and ended up with 10 books, which will be shown very soon. I picked up Impossible as soon as I saw it. I saw the book a couple of times on the shelves but I don't know, I never really got around to buy it, but I'm glad I did. It was a good book.

Okay, the synopsis.

Lucy is seventeen when she discovers that the women of her family have been cursed through the generations, forced to attempt three seemingly impossible tasks or to fall into madness upon their child's birth. But Lucy is the first girl who won't be alone as she tackles the list. She has her fiercely protective foster parents beside her. And she has Zach, whose strength amazes her more each day. Do they have enough love and resolve to overcome an age-old evil?

Three impossible tasks, a family curse, only true love can save her. That's what it said on the back. That really lured me in to read the book. So here's Lucy Scarborough, your ordinary 17 year old girl who lives with her foster parents as she was abandoned by her estranged and mentally-ill mother Miranda, and Lucy only occasionally sees her. But when that happens, things doesn't usually turn out so good. Besides that, she's got the life we've always envisioned as "normal" for a teenager. She's in her senior year, on the track team and she's got her best bud on her side, Zach. They've known each other since they were little, he's a little older than her, but he'll always be her best friend.

Then on prom night, everything will change for Lucy, and this surely is a life's test. She soon discovers after that she's pregnant, then she finds out about this curse from Miranda's journal and letters written before Lucy was born, before Miranda went crazy and astray. From Miranda's writing, Lucy finds out that many other Scarborough women before her suffered a curse and Lucy herself could be affected by this curse too. Then it also tells Lucy about a song called "The Scarborough Fair" that Lucy has always remembered growing up. There's more to the song than she thought, and it's linked to the curse. The song showed 3 apparently impossible tasks that she must attend to before her unborn daughter is born. Otherwise, she'll suffer the same fate that the past Scarborough women have experienced.

But she's not alone, she has her family's support and the faithful support of Zach, who has no intentions on giving up to break this age-old curse. Attempts on breaking this curse will really test Lucy, emotionally and physically. Scarborough women in the past, never had the help that Lucy has, nobody there to support them. Lucy, Zach and her parents will go to many extents to break this curse.

This is a good story, and it keeps me turning the pages to find out more. I love the essence of fantasy in the story yet it also keeps you grounded with reality still intact. There are continuous changes with the points of view between character. It makes me a little bit confused at some parts that I have to go back and read the paragraphs again. The characters are also quite well-crafted in the book. The story had a nice flow to it, and some parts of the book were exciting that I had myself almost jumping out of the chair at Starbucks, hands in the air, saying "I KNEW it!". It's a jewel of a coming-of-age story that I'll cherish.

xoxo,
Maya.


Grade: B-

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...