Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tithe by Holly Black


Hi there! I'm going to do a review of the book I just finished reading not too long ago.
It's Tithe by Holly Black.

Welcome to the realm of very scary faeries! Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad/ Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother’s rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms –a struggle that could very well mean her death.

I swallowed this book whole. First of all I should tell you that I'm a sucker for fantasy/supernatural/science-fiction books. Tithe is a very interesting story, with a straight-forward and yet a really unique storyline. It is told in third person of sixteen-year old Kaye. Although because of the whole straight-forward element in the book, I find myself confused in between the story and I have to re-read the words a few times. The point of view will change back to forth and takes some time to get used to. Descriptions of the faerie realm were very vivid.

Setting asides the confusions, I was never bored with this book and I kept reading. It's a story of adventure, romance, and of course, fantasy. I wouldn't really consider this as one of my favorites, but I savored it.

*Warning*
You might find some of the language used a bit uncomfortable (e.g the F word). So do mind for that.

If I had to give a grade for this book, it would be:
B-

xoxo,
Maya

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...