Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

I just have to do a review of this one! I waited for some time to read Hush Hush and when I finally got it, I was super duper excited! The cover totally blew me away and pretty straightforward as you can see. Haha.

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

So, you can already guess what this story is about right? It's set in the normal highschool setting, and biology class. Which triggers a switch in my mind about Twilight. But I love the setting. It's of a teenage girl Nora Grey, the usual sarcastic, somehow edgy, and just completely unfazed with high school. I liked her character and could relate to her. But if I could name my favorite character of this book, it would be Nora's best friend Vee Sky. She's this ultra-hip, spunky, hilarious and confident best friend. She talks about boys, shopping, shoes, boys, and jokes around a lot. But she totally made me laugh in some parts of the story.

Then of course, a typical yet sensational plot twist of the girl meeting the guy. Nora meets Patch in biology class. And boy, he makes this story so amazingly delicious. He's this mysterious, dark, bad boy. I think we gotta love that right? She knows nothing about him and apparently he has no history, nada. There's just something about him that intrigues Nora, and it leads her to not be able to stay away from him, and him from her. She feels that there's something fishy about Patch, and it eventually leads onto the department of fallen angels. The story just goes on from there.

Again there are some language and phrase use that is a little touchy especially on Patch's part. Just for a lookout.

Becca Fitzpatrick did a very good job with this book. The prose is intriguing and she slips in comedy amongst the darkness and mystery of the story. I totally loved that. She captures us with her comfortable, effortless writing, and I could hardly put this book down. (I read it in 2 days!). There are lots of twists and turns within the plot that is very much worth savoring. It definitely kept me coming back for more. And I would definitely come back for more of Becca's work. I love love LOVE this book!

Grade:
A +

xoxo,
Maya.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...