Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wings by Aprilynne Pike


I've been wanting to read this book for a while and I never really got around to buying it. And when I saw it on the bookstore, I immediately picked it up. Wings by Aprilynne Pike. I'm so excited to review this one for you!

Synopsis:

Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.


This is another young adult debut novel that very lovely portrays the traditional faerie mythology that I have grown to love. Yet it has some awesome twists

I basically indulged myself and my time in this lovely little book, and I didn't regret any of it. So here's Laurel, a fifteen year old girl, who had just moved into a public school after being homeschooled for so many years. And, she's adopted. Well, not really adopted I guess.. But you'll see why in the book as it has a pretty big significance. She has always been different from other kids at her school, that has made her a little bit of an outsider. Like really different, she doesn't eat in a way like the rest of us do, and she wears tank-tops on a cold morning! How quirky is that. But she was never really fazed with the fact that she's different, until something changed her life, that one morning.

She woke up, walked herself to the mirror and found something that resembles as wings sprouting from her back, and they rose above her shoulders. You could guess what that means, and what those wings make her. She found them beautiful, too beautiful for words. That's where the story kicks off for the rest of the book. As she went through her days in school, trying to somehow adjust to her new 'wings', she made new friends. David, the cute and easy going boy in her science class. He understood her, and he went on to become her best friend, with maybe something more for them in the future. Then there's the alluring handsome boy, Tamani who was very much like her, and apparently knows too much about her, to her amazement. And she finds herself unknowingly drawn to him. But then, the sky's not always blue during the day, as a dark mystery lures around, it brings Laurel and David into a world that's not so wonderful at times. It threatens the safety of Laurel and her family too.

That was basically the spice in the book, the delicious love triangle. Yet the book still keeps the precious folklore and mythology in there. It just makes the book that much more special. I also love the adventure in the book. The plot flowed really well, although it was a bit slow in the beginning, but once the spice kicks off, you can't help but go along with the flow of the book. Before I know it, poof! I finished the book! I'm so excited for the next book to her series, and I'm just aching to find out what happens to these fantastic characters.

xoxo,

Maya.


Grade: B

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...